Covid Victoria: Victoria’s state of emergency prolonged till the tip of July

Victoria has not seen any new Covid cases after the state of emergency was renewed as the rest of Australia battles growing outbreaks.

• This coronavirus article is unlocked in the interest of the health and safety of the community and is free to read. Click here for full digital access to trusted Herald Sun and Leader news for just $ 1 a week for the first 12 weeks.

Victoria has not registered any new coronavirus cases in the past 24 hours for the third day in a row.

A total of 24,247 tests were received and 19,623 doses of vaccine were given.

The state now has 30 active cases.

The divisive state of emergency – first declared in March 2020 – was again extended until the end of the month, as the outbreaks of the state remain “stable”.

Starting July 1 at 11:59 p.m., Chief Health Officer Brett Sutton’s emergency powers will be extended through July 29 at 11:59 p.m.

Alice Springs and the Greater Darwin Area are now classified as orange zones under the state government’s travel authorization system.

The red zone status continues to apply to Greater Sydney, Wollongong, the Perth and Peel regions of New South Wales and parts of South East Queensland including Greater Brisbane, as well as Townsville, Magnetic Island and Palm Island.

Meanwhile, authorities visited 160 households in recent interstate arrivals on Thursday to ensure they were isolated.

Police continue to patrol the Victoria and New South Wales border, with 50 members of the Australian Defense Forces assisting the public health team with budgetary checks.

ANTI-VAXXERS TARGET JAB HUBS

Anti-Vaxxers target Victorian vaccine centers with the police called in to protect the beleaguered nurses.

Security has also been increased at the Melbourne Convention and Exhibition Center to protect staff.

Health Minister Martin Foley said Friday that nurses had been spat on and abused by “Tin Pot” theorists who oppose the vaccination program.

Mr Foley said nurses had also been exposed to racist remarks and other “disgusting” behavior.

Read the whole story here.

Overseas travel numbers are cut

Australia will cut the number of people allowed to enter the country on commercial flights in half after the national cabinet approves demands by the state government to reduce the number of people detained in troubled hotel quarantine systems.

However, Canberra has agreed to increase the number of commercial flights to Darwin that can use the Howard Springs quarantine facility.

The cuts in commercial inbound flights will begin on July 14th and will last until the end of August.

Prime Minister Scott Morrison said hotel quarantine violations that led to current lockdowns across Australia were mainly due to infection control procedures and human error.

Read the whole story here.

Comments are closed.