Girl allegedly flouted COVID quarantine to attend child’s occasion after Victoria go to

A West Australian woman will face court after allegedly ignoring the rule that anyone entering the state from Victoria must self-isolate for 14 days.

The 29-year-old from Eaton in Bunbury had returned to WA after a visit to Victoria on June 30.

However, on July 11 she allegedly attended a children’s party, several days before her self-isolation period was due to finish.

Watch the latest news and stream for free on 7plus >>

Police said the woman socialized with numerous people at the children’s party, including elderly attendees.

She had been issued with a 14-day self-quarantine direction as soon as she arrived at the Perth airport from Victoria.

Authorities were alerted to her alleged breach of quarantine and charged the woman with one count of failing to comply with a direction.

She will face court at a date to be determined.

Lorna Jane hits back after anti-COVID activewear outrage

‘Extremely harmful’: Warning about ‘fake’ prescription pills being sold to Aussies

Last week the state government made it compulsory for all people coming into WA from Victoria to undergo COVID-19 testing upon arrival.

They are then required to be re-tested on day 11 of a mandatory 14-day self-isolation.

“We are doubling down on limiting any potential spread of the virus from Victoria,” Health Minister Roger Cook said on Tuesday.

“We’re obviously taking a very tough stance … we make no apologies for that.”

In the video below, Deputy Chief Medical Officer discusses COVID ‘super-spreader’


Deputy Chief Medical Officer Michael Kidd addresses a highly infectious COVID-19 patient that is linked to outbreaks in South West Sydney.

Deputy Chief Medical Officer Michael Kidd addresses a highly infectious COVID-19 patient that is linked to outbreaks in South West Sydney.

COVID crimes

In another COVID-related incident, a Perth man who spat on a police officer then claimed he had coronavirus, has been handed a suspended sentence.

Leroy Dimer was fined $750 in the Perth Magistrates Court this week after being convicted of assaulting a public officer in April.

The incident occurred just two weeks after tough new laws were introduced to protect coronavirus frontline workers, including police and health workers.

Driver caught ‘three times the legal limit’ during COVID check

Queensland puts up ‘border wall’ to stop ‘unlawful’ COVID movement

The maximum penalty for someone who threatens to expose a frontline worker to coronavirus is seven years in jail.

The suspended sentence prompted outrage from the WA Police Union, who described Dimer’s punishment as inadequate.

WA Police Union president Harry Arnott said Dimer’s act was “vile.”

“Quite simply, he should be behind bars and the suspended jail sentence handed down in grossly inappropriate,” he said.

“It is disappointing that magistrates have not recognized the seriousness of the offence.”

Comments are closed.