Victoria Covid Replace: Lockdown Prolonged By One Week As 13 New Circumstances Recorded | Victoria

Victoria’s snap lockdown will be extended for another seven days and New South Wales border restrictions tightened to control the Delta variant outbreak as the state recorded 13 new cases on Tuesday.

Nine of the 13 cases were in isolation for the entire period of their infection period, the remaining four were in the ward for less than a day.

Prime Minister Daniel Andrews said the state must bring the latter number down to zero and announced the extension over the originally planned five-day lockdown for another week through midnight Tuesday, July 27.

“That way we’ll really know we’ve got this under control,” said Andrews. “We don’t have the residual risk that it will work again, that it will flare up once when it is opened. We just can’t take that risk. “

There are 320 exposure sites across the state with 18,000 close contacts identified for the 85 cases of the outbreak so far.

The close contacts are spread across the state, with one case in Mildura meaning the lockdown continues across Victoria. Victoria’s chief health officer, Prof. Brett Sutton, said the spread was largely due to the outbreak at the MCG members’ booth at the Geelong v Carlton AFL game on July 10th.

“We have seen significant and distinct outbreaks in regional areas on Phillip Island, Bacchus Marsh, Barwon Heads and even Mildura,” he said. “Around a third of all of our primary close contacts are in the entire Victoria region.”

About 90,000 companies in the state have received support payments from the Victorian government, and Andrews said further support will be announced on Wednesday.

Beyond the border bubble for border communities between NSW and Victoria, the red zone permits that allow entry from NSW to Victoria will be further restricted from Tuesday midnight, i.e.

Aircrew and other specified workers or individuals traveling through Victoria to another jurisdiction will continue to be admitted.

Those attempting to enter from NSW without exception will either be sent back or placed in hotel quarantine for 14 days and could be fined $ 5,452. Andrews said the stricter rules would last for at least two weeks and would be necessary as the state works to get the Delta variant under control.

Sign up to receive an email every morning with the top stories from Guardian Australia

“Things are too unstable, too insecure and frankly out of control in Sydney from a virus standpoint. We have to protect Victoria and the Victorians and beyond that the rest of the nation. “

The red zone rules also apply to Australian capital territory, but Andrews said the chief health officer will continue to review the capital’s status, which has not had any cases of community broadcasts for more than a year.

Of the 13 cases reported Tuesday from nearly 50,000 test results, seven are related to Ms. Frankie’s restaurant in Cremorne, Melbourne; three of them are employees. Two are linked to an outbreak at Trinity Grammar – a staff member and a student at Ruyton’s Girls’ School.

There were two other household contacts from someone linked to the MCG outbreak who tested positive and a member of the group who traveled to Phillip Island.

quick start Guide

How to get the latest Guardian Australia news

showPhoto: Tim Robberts / Stone RF

Thank you for your feedback signal.

The final case is a woman in her twenties in Roxburgh Park who has not yet been linked to an outbreak but is believed to be linked to the Hume town family who tested positive at the start of the last Victorian outbreak.

Virus fragments were also detected in the wastewater in Roxburgh Park on Monday night.

Sutton said health officials are reviewing the cases day in and day out and are not ruling out the lockdown ending sooner if few cases were reported in the next few days. Andrews stressed the importance of clearing the Spotfires of the cases.

“We did very well avoiding a Sydney-style result,” he said. “We have to finish this job now and it will take a little longer.”

Comments are closed.